BLACKMORE VALE SHORT MAT BOWLS LEAGUE

MINUTES OF THE COMMITTEE MEETING HELD ON THURSDAY, 24 OCTOBER 2019

Present: Colin MacLeod, Terry Leggett, Terry Fellows, David Bishton, Brenda Harper.

1 Apologies for absence: John Beckford, Mike Pinkawa, Peter Titheridge.

2 The Minutes of the last meeting on 17 July were approved.

3 Matters arising: Colin informed the committee that the invoice from the Gryphon School for the Hall hire for the Blackmore Vale Cup last year had now been received and paid.

4 Correspondence: Brenda reported that she had received an email from Peter Titheridge resigning from the committee as he felt he could not attend many meetings due to other commitments.

5 Treasurer’s report: John’s Statement of Account to 21 October was circulated. This showed a surplus for the year of £309.60, and a bank balance of £1370.93. John had reported to Colin that no other outgoings were expected to arise this year. Colin confirmed that the League’s financial year ended on 31 December.

6 Items for discussion: Blackmore Vale Cup – The Committee had agreed via email for the BV Cup to be held at the Bere Regis Bowls Resort this season. Reasons included particularly the hassle of transporting mats and equipment back and forth, and Bere Regis is purpose-built and less expensive. The Cup competition has been booked at Bere Regis for Sunday, 22 March 2020. The mats just need rolling and put into store at the end of the day. Brian Baker from Hazelbury Bryan Club has kindly offered to run the event, and Colin has accepted on behalf of the committee. The committee decided the format for the competition will be the same as last year, ie five matches per team, etc. The Bere Regis venue will provide a menu in advance for team members to choose from. The fee will be £15 per team, as before. The minimum number of team is 6 players. The committee hope that there will be a really good response from league clubs for this event. More information will be sent to clubs in January. The Draw for the Cup competition will be held at the Committee Meeting on 12 March 2020.

League Trophies for last season: Holders of the 5 trophies should please hand them in at the BV Cup competition so that they can be presented to the new winning clubs at the AGM on 15 April 2020.

League Teams for next season: Colin was concerned that the league is slowly declining, and asked that the committee consider reducing the league to 4 divisions of 8 teams each for the next season. He hoped that a few more teams from Clubs might be formed, so that this would not be necessary. The committee decided not to make a decision yet, but continue to monitor the situation.

7 Any other business: None.

8 Date of next meeting: Thursday, 16 January 2020.

There being no other business, Colin thanked committee members for attending and closed the meeting at 8.45 pm.

DATES FOR YOUR DIARIES:

Next committee meetings: THURSDAY 16 JANUARY 2020

THURSDAY 12 MARCH 2020 - Draw for BV Cup competition

BLACKMORE VALE CUP: SUNDAY 22 MARCH 2020

BV LEAGUE AGM: WEDNESDAY 15 APRIL 2020


BLACKMORE VALE SHORT MAT BOWLS LEAGUE
MINUTES OF THE GENERAL MEETING HELD ON THE 17th JULY 2019 at STALBRIDGE HALL

CLUBS REPRESENTED: Bishops Caundle, Buckhorn Weston, Camelot, Cerne Abbas, Charlton Marshall, 
Child Okeford, Gillingham, Hawthorns, Hazelbury Bryan, Milborne Port, Okeford Fitzpaine, Sherborne, 
Stalbridge, Sturminster Newton, Tarrant Keyneston, Templecombe, Thornford.
Colin MacLeod welcomed everyone to the meeting. 

1 Apologies for absence:  None. 

2 The Minutes of the AGM held on the 25 April 2019 were approved as a correct record. 

3 Chairman's report:  Colin said that he had just received one bit of bad news, Jim Mannell had resigned 
as Competition's Secretary, therefore a new person would be required.  Jim would oversee the President's 
Cup and the Blackmore League v the Yeovil League. Colin commented that if the players wanted a 
Blackmore Cup next year then a volunteer would be needed.
Sturminster Newton have moved premises - they are now at Stour View Close.
Shroton are now Charlton Marshall. 
Sixpenny Handley have lost 1 team - if anyone knows of any team that would like to join the Blackmore 
Vale League it would be good - next year we may go down to 4 divisions. 

4 Treasurer's Report: John Beckford reported that £830 was taken at the Blackmore Vale Cup - £460 to be 
paid out with a surplus of £360.  There is over £1,400 in the Bank Account at the moment.

5 Competition's Secretary Report: Jim not being in attendance Pauline mentioned that helpers would be 
needed Saturday morning to help put out mats for the President's Cup. Colin asked if Jim had a Charity in 
mind for the monies from the Blackmore Vale Cup - Pauline commented it usually went to the MacMillan 
Nurses - however this was put to the floor - Dorset and Somerset Air Ambulance was also suggested. With 
an overwhelming vote it was decided monies should go to the Dorset and Somerset Air Ambulance.  Colin 
suggested £200 which was agreed.
However Colin did comment that the hall had not been paid for as yet. 

6 Any other business: Charlton Marshall commented that they are now playing in their new hall at Charlton 
Marshall.              

The meeting closed at 7.40pm.

Members broke into divisions for the FIXTURES MEETING for the coming season.

 

BLACKMORE VALE SHORT MAT BOWLS LEAGUE

COMMITTEE MEETING HELD ON THURSDAY, 27 JUNE 2019

AT TYNE HOUSE, STURMINSTER NEWTON DT10 1AU

At 7.30 pm

M I N U T E S

Present:  John Beckford, Terry Fellows, Terry Leggett, Colin MacLeod

1                    Apologies for absence:  David Bishton, Brenda Harper, Jim Mannell, Mike Pinkawa, Peter Titheridge

Chairman thanked those present for attending

2                    Approval of the Minutes of the last meeting held on 28 March 2019:  Agreed

3                    Matters arising:  BV Cup had 20 teams finally.  

4                    Correspondence:  No invoice received from Gryphon Sports Centre even after emailing them in June. 

5                    Treasurer’s report: Statement of account to 25th June 2019.

Income to date   £832.00      

Expenditure to date  £467.52

Surplus for year to date    £364.48

Money held in Lloyds Bank current account at 25th June 2019   £1425 81

6                    Items for discussion –  including Format for League Divisions:  Agreed to have 5 divisions of 7 in divisions 1-3 and 6 in divisions 4-5.  (Lost Sixpenny Handley team).  £10 per team to be paid at Fixture Meeting for 2019-20 season.

BV Cup 2020.  Agreed Sunday 19th April 2020.  (Clashes with Under 18’s and ICC Finals!)

7                    Any other business:  None

8                    Date of next committee meeting.:  Thursday 24th October 2019


BLACKMORE VALE SHORT MAT BOWLS LEAGUE

MINUTES OF THE ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING HELD ON 3 APRIL 2019 at STALBRIDGE HALL

 

Clubs represented:  Buckhorn Weston, Camelot, Cerne Abbas, Charlton Horethorne, Gillingham, Hazelbury Bryan, Milborne Port, Okeford Fitzpaine, Sherborne, Shroton, Stalbridge, Tarrant Keyneston, Templecombe.

 

Colin MacLeod welcomed everyone to the meeting with “Happy Birthday as tomorrow the League will be 30 years old”.

 

1          Apologies for absence:  Terry Fellows, Mary Beaven, David Adams.  Also apologies from Terry Leggett and Peter Titheridge given at the Committee meeting and missed by the Secretary.

 

2          The Minutes of the General Meeting held on 18 July 2018 were agreed as a correct record.

 

3          Chairman’s report:  Colin said the League continued to run well.  He thanked his fellow officers for their work, including Terry Fellows who was unwell.  He reminded those Clubs holding League shields to bring them back for presentation at Sunday’s Cup competition.

 

4          Secretary’s report:  Brenda thanked Colin for all the help and advice he has given her over the past two years.  She said she was concerned that some Club memberships were declining and urged all members to personally seek to attract new members to their clubs.  She also felt Short Mat Bowls needed more publicity by having special club events reported in the local press.

 

5          Treasurer’s report:    John reported the League accounts were in a healthy state.  He asked members for any questions on the Accounts, copies of which had been distributed – there were none.  He recommended that League Fees remain the same as last year.

 

6          Competition Secretary’s report:  Jim reported results of competitions held since the last meeting:   Blackmore Vale came second to the Dorset League in the Presidents Cup at Wincanton, making £600 for charity, and won against the Yeovil League at Milborne Port which made £261 for charity.  This year the Presidents Cup will be on Saturday, 20 July.  The date for the competition against the Yeovil league will be announced soon.  Blackmore Vale Cup on Sunday - Jim explained that he needed an extra team so that the day would run smoothly – he needed 4 more players.

 

7          Election of officers and committee:  The secretary had received a completed nominations form for all the current officers and committee to be re-elected.  As all were willing to stand again, and with no other nominations, this was agreed by the membership present.

 

8          Any other business:  Blackmore Vale Cup  Raffle prizes needed as these keep the day solvent, and help was needed on the raffle table during the day selling tickets.  Colin also asked clubs for more help in clearing away on Sunday.  Jim said a sponsor would be donating bottles of cider to winners and runners-up this year, and may pay for trophies next year.

League match complaints:  Colin reported complaints involving spectators interfering during a match.  He reminded Clubs that spectators should not involve themselves in any way, as explained in ESMBA rules, except to show appreciation for good shots.  Spectators also should not have conversations among themselves which distract players from their match.  Bad language during matches is not acceptable.  Match captains must take responsibility for keeping everyone, including spectators, to the rules.  Shroton Club have reported that they may change their name at their AGM as they have not played at Shroton for some time – this will not cause a problem with the League. 

 

Colin closed the meeting at 7.50 pm.


BLACKMORE VALE SHORT MAT BOWLS LEAGUE


MINUTES OF THE COMMITTEE MEETING HELD ON THURSDAY, 28 MARCH 2019

AT NEW INN HOUSE, GLANVILLES WOOTTON  DT9 5QJ


Present:  Colin MacLeod, Terry Leggett, David Bishton, Jim Mannell, Peter Titheridge, Brenda Harper.


1 Apologies:  John Beckford, Mike Pinkawa, Terry Fellows.


2 The Minutes of the last meeting held on 7 February 2019 were approved.


3 Matters Arising:  None.


4 Correspondence:  Brenda said she had received a completed Nominations Form from North Cadbury (Camelot), nominating all the current committee for re-election.


5 Treasurer’s report:  John’s examined Accounts for the year, emailed to all League contacts and Captains, was accepted.


6 Items for discussion:  Formal Complaint:  All committee members had received a copy of the complaint and response.  After discussion, it was decided that at the AGM Colin would announce a reminder to all teams of the ESMBA rules for spectators: that they should not interfere with games in any way, and that Skips on both teams should ensure that this rule is complied with.  Colin would notify the complainant of the committee decision.  


Peter asked if the committee were happy with him to continue, as with other commitments he could not attend all meetings.  The committee indicated they were happy for him to come when he could as it was good to have a wide representation from clubs. 


Blackmore Vale Cup:  Jim reported he had received 19 entries from clubs.   It was agreed to try to find another team so that the day would run more smoothly.  Jim had received an offer of sponsorship from Alan Berry, this year in the form of bottles of cider for winners and runners-up, in return for putting up an advertising poster for his cider.  This was agreed with gratitude from the committee.  The draw for the Cup was held, the results to be announced at the AGM.


7 Any other business:  Colin asked members if they were willing to continue on the committee – all agreed to stand again.


8 Date of next meeting:    Thursday, 4 July 2019.


Colin closed the meeting at 8.20 pm.


DATES TO NOTE: AGM:         Wednesday, 3 April 2019

Blackmore Vale Cup:          Sunday, 7 April 2019

GENERAL MEETING (Fixtures):    Wednesday, 17 July 2019.

Presidents Cup:       Saturday, 20 July 2019 (provisional)

     



BLACKMORE VALE SHORT MAT BOWLS LEAGUE

MINUTES OF THE COMMITTEE MEETING HELD ON THURSDAY, 7 FEBRUARY 2019

at New Inn House, Glanvilles Wootton


Present:  Colin MacLeod, John Beckford, Terry Leggett, David Bishton, Terry Fellows, Brenda    Harper.


1 Apologies:  Jim Mannell, Peter Titheridge, Mike Pinkawa.


2 The Minutes of the last meeting held on 25 October 2018 were approved.


3 Matters arising:  Terry Fellows confirmed that Clubs with more than one team in the same division had played their matches against each other.


4 Correspondence:  None.


5 Treasurer’s report:  John distributed the accounts for 2018 which show a surplus for the year of £70.41.  He said he was happy with the balance, and the accounts will be examined by Terry Leggett ready for the AGM on 3 April 2019.  John added that he recommended league fees stay the same as last year.  Colin reminded the Committee that the Blackmore Cup fee this season will be £30 a team, and said the charge for the Hall would be much the same as last year.


6 Items for discussion:  BV League and Cup Trophies – Colin asked the Committee to help choose these from the brochures he tabled, and after discussion decisions were made. 

BV Cup on 6 April – As this event now clashes with the rearranged national ICC competitions, Jim Mannell has said he needs help with transporting the mats, setting up and clearing away after the event.  He does have the van arranged.  David volunteered to liaise with Jim on this, and said he could probably provide some helpers from his Club.  He was thanked for taking this on.

As entries were asked for early this year, Brenda said she would email all Clubs again for their entries for the Cup, to be sent direct to Jim Mannell.


7 Any other business:  Colin reported that Shroton Club have asked him if they changed their name to Charlton Marshall (where they have played for some years) would they have to start again in League 5?  It was agreed that as this would be just a name change, the Club would continue as they were in the league.  Terry Fellows will inform Shroton that they need to make a formal application to the league, and the Committee’s recommendation would be put to the AGM for ratification.


Terry Leggett reminded committee members that Stur Newts collapsed during the season and their matches were voided.  He asked if the left-over players could play for one of their other teams.  As these circumstances did not contravene any League rules, this was agreed.


Colin said the draw for the Cup will be made at the next committee meeting and suggested the results would not be publicised until the AGM – this was agreed.


8 Date of next meeting:  Thursday, 28 March 2019.


BLACKMORE  VALE  SHORT  MAT  BOWLS  LEAGUE

MINUTES OF THE COMMITTEE MEETING HELD ON THURSDAY, 25 OCTOBER 2018

AT NEW INN HOUSE, GLANVILLES WOOTTON

 

Present:  Colin MacLeod, John Beckford, Terry Leggett, David Bishton, Jim Mannell, Brenda Harper.

 

1          Apologies:  Mike Pinkawa, Terry Fellows.

 

2          The Minutes of the last meeting, held on 12 July 2018, were approved.

 

3          Matters arising:  Blackmore Vale Cup – Colin said we are not charged for the Saturday set-up time or for the last hour for clearing away at the Gryphon School, so there has been no increase in the hire charge.

 

4          Correspondence:  None.

 

5          Treasurer’s report:  John distributed the Statement of Accounts to date which showed a surplus for the year of £180.11, with a bank balance of £1151.33.  He wrote cheques for £30 each for Templecombe, Stalbridge and Milborne Port Clubs to cover transport cost and wear and tear on their mats which were used for the Blackmore Vale Cup.  This concluded most of the spending for the current year, and John proposed the League fees remain the same for next year.  This was agreed.

 

6          Items for discussion:  Colin reported that on 4 October Gillingham had requested permission to enter a third team in the league.  On this occasion, with division 5 having fewer teams than the other divisions, this was provisionally agreed, providing they could manage to arrange all their matches, and with the proviso that the Committee accepted this decision.  Otherwise, the matches would be regarded as ‘friendly’.  The Committee willingly agreed to accept the third Gillingham team into division 5.  The Treasurer said he will be pleased to accept the £10 league fee from the Gillingham club.  Terry Fellows will be asked to be watchful of those clubs with two teams in the same division to ensure they play both matches with their other club team before the end of January.

 

7          Any other business:  Terry asked for clarification on Jack-off-the-mat:  did this stay with the mat and the score cards, or with the team members who might have changed mats for the second half if they were the home team?  It was confirmed that Jack-off-the-Mat stayed with the mat and the score cards, as ESMBA rule 7.

 

Jim gave a provisional date for the President’s Cup - Saturday, 20 July 2019 at Wincanton.  It was agreed that John Beckford, as Treasurer, would take over all the financial transactions for the Presidents and Inter-League Cups.  It was noted that at present, surplus funds from these events are donated to MacMillan Nurses and the Air Ambulance charities.

 

Brenda will contact Clubs for entries to the BV Cup to be held on Sunday, 7 April 2019, to be sent to her by 21 March for collation and forwarding to Jim, so that the draw can be made at the following Committee meeting on 28 March 2019.  It was noted that with the AGM scheduled for 3 April, this left insufficient time to leave the draw until then.

 

8          Date of next meeting:   Thursday, 7 February 2019 at 7.30 pm at New Inn House.

There being no other business, Colin thanked all for coming, and closed the meeting at 8.30 pm .



BLACKMORE VALE SHORT MAT BOWLS LEAGUE

MINUTES OF THE GENERAL MEETING HELD ON 18 JULY 2018 AT STALBRIDGE HALL

 

Clubs represented:   Bishops Caundle, Buckhorn Weston, Camelot, Cerne Abbas, Charlton Horethorne, Child Okeford, Gillingham, Hazelbury Bryan, Milborne Port, Okeford Fitzpaine, Sherborne, Shroton, Sixpenny Handley, Stalbridge, Sturminster Newton, Tarrant Keyneston, Templecombe, Thornford.

 

Colin MacLeod welcomed everyone to the meeting. 

 

1          Apologies for absence:  David Bishton.

 

2          The Minutes of the AGM held on 25 April 2018 were approved as a correct record.

 

3          Chairman’s report:  Colin said that the League was going well.  Any concerns over the competition side had been resolved now that Jim Mannell had taken over the position of Competitions Secretary.

 

4          Treasurer’s report:  John Beckford reported that the deficit of £126.41 was not a problem now that he had collected the Team fees.  He was not expecting any exorbitant costs, and money in the bank totalled approximately £1,200.  He concluded by saying that the league was in a stable financial position.

 

5          Competition Secretary’s report:  Jim Mannell said the Presidents Cup this coming Saturday had entries from five leagues, and he would welcome supporters on the day.  On Sunday 19 August our league will play the Yeovil League at Milborne Port, and Jim asked members to ring him if they wished to play on the day.  He reported that the hire of the Sports Hall at the Gryphon School had risen for next year’s Blackmore Vale Cup on Sunday,

7 April 2019, and suggested we increase the entry per team to £30 (£5 per player).  Any surplus funds made could be donated to a charity.  Celia Jeans proposed the league increase the entry per team to £30, Joan Collier seconded, and the motion was carried by a large majority, nem con. 

 

6          Any other business:  Chris Jeans asked if there would be 5 divisions this coming season.  Colin confirmed that this was the case, as if we dropped to 4 divisions some teams would find it difficult to fit in the extra matches.  We have lost Yetminster and Westonians but Sturnewts have entered at division 5.  Therefore divisions 1 to 4 will have seven teams, and division 5 will have six teams.

 

The meeting closed at 7.45 pm.

 

 

Members broke into divisions for the FIXTURES MEETING for the coming season.



BLACKMORE  VALE  SHORT  MAT  BOWLS  LEAGUE

MINUTES OF THE COMMITTEE MEETING HELD ON THURSDAY 12 JULY 2018

AT NEW INN HOUSE, GLANVILLES WOOTTON

 

Present:  Colin MacLeod, John Beckford, Terry Leggett, Mike Pinkawa, Brenda Harper.

 

1          Apologies for absence:  David Bishton, Peter Titheridge, Jim Mannell.

 

2          The Minutes of the last meeting held on 19 April 2018 were agreed.

 

3          Matters arising:  None.

 

4          Correspondence:  None.

 

5          Treasurer’s report:  John distributed copies of the Financial Report from 1 January to 30 June 2018 (attached) which showed a deficit to date of £126.41 which would change to a surplus of funds after the General Meeting on 18 June.  Funds in Lloyds Bank total £1,199.39.  The Blackmore Vale Cup finances this year showed a surplus of £271.31 which was down to the raffle income of £278.  Colin explained that the Gryphon School Sports complex was more expensive to hire now that the School had taken over.  Colin agreed to contact the School to see if a lower fee could be negotiated for the future.  It was agreed that the Plate for the runners up would be engraved for the previous few years by the League, and in future by the runners up team themselves.  Colin would look into this.

 

6          Item for discussion:  Format of the League for 2018/19 Season.  Colin distributed his colour coded chart for the coming season (attached) showing 34 teams, for agreement of the committee.  He was disappointed that Yetminster and Sherborne Westonians had unfortunately had to drop out of the league.  However, he welcomed Sturnewts back to the league in division 5.  He had arranged for two teams to be promoted and two relegated in divisions 1 to 4, and two teams promoted from division 5 but just one team relegated to division 5.  This arrangement gave 7 teams in divisions 1 to 4, and 6 teams in division 5.  The committee agreed to this format.  Entry fees to stay at £10 per team.

 

7          Any other business:  None.

 

8          Date of next meeting:  Thursday, 25 October 2018 at New Inn House, Glanvilles Wootton.

 

Colin closed the meeting at 8.20 pm.

 

 

  DATES TO NOTE FOR NEXT YEAR:     AGM – Wednesday 3 April 2019 at Stalbridge Hall

                                                           

                                                             BLACKMORE VALE CUP – Sunday 7 April 2019.

BLACKMORE  VALE  SHORT  MAT  BOWLS  LEAGUE

MINUTES OF THE COMMITTEE MEETING HELD ON THURSDAY 12 JULY 2018

AT NEW INN HOUSE, GLANVILLES WOOTTON

 

Present:  Colin MacLeod, John Beckford, Terry Leggett, Mike Pinkawa, Brenda Harper.

 

1          Apologies for absence:  David Bishton, Peter Titheridge, Jim Mannell.

 

2          The Minutes of the last meeting held on 19 April 2018 were agreed.

 

3          Matters arising:  None.

 

4          Correspondence:  None.

 

5          Treasurer’s report:  John distributed copies of the Financial Report from 1 January to 30 June 2018 (attached) which showed a deficit to date of £126.41 which would change to a surplus of funds after the General Meeting on 18 June.  Funds in Lloyds Bank total £1,199.39.  The Blackmore Vale Cup finances this year showed a surplus of £271.31 which was down to the raffle income of £278.  Colin explained that the Gryphon School Sports complex was more expensive to hire now that the School had taken over.  Colin agreed to contact the School to see if a lower fee could be negotiated for the future.  It was agreed that the Plate for the runners up would be engraved for the previous few years by the League, and in future by the runners up team themselves.  Colin would look into this.

 

6          Item for discussion:  Format of the League for 2018/19 Season.  Colin distributed his colour coded chart for the coming season (attached) showing 34 teams, for agreement of the committee.  He was disappointed that Yetminster and Sherborne Westonians had unfortunately had to drop out of the league.  However, he welcomed Sturnewts back to the league in division 5.  He had arranged for two teams to be promoted and two relegated in divisions 1 to 4, and two teams promoted from division 5 but just one team relegated to division 5.  This arrangement gave 7 teams in divisions 1 to 4, and 6 teams in division 5.  The committee agreed to this format.  Entry fees to stay at £10 per team.

 

7          Any other business:  None.

 

8          Date of next meeting:  Thursday, 25 October 2018 at New Inn House, Glanvilles Wootton.

 

Colin closed the meeting at 8.20 pm.

 

 

  DATES TO NOTE FOR NEXT YEAR:     AGM – Wednesday 3 April 2019 at Stalbridge Hall

                                                           

                                                             BLACKMORE VALE CUP – Sunday 7 April 2019.



BLACKMORE VALE SHORT MAT BOWLS LEAGUE

MINUTES OF THE ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING HELD ON 25 APRIL 2018 AT STALBRIDGE HALL


Clubs represented:   Buckhorn Weston, Camelot, Cerne Abbas, Gillingham, Hazelbury Bryan, Milborne Port, Okeford Fitzpaine, Sherborne, Shroton, Sixpenny Handley, Stalbridge, Sturminster Newton, Tarrant Keyneston, Templecombe, Thornford, Yetminster.


1 Apologies for absence:  None.


2 The Minutes of the General Meeting held on 26 July 2017 were approved.


3 Chairman’s report (attached):  Colin MacLeod welcomed all members to the meeting and congratulated Hazelberries, Sturminster and Stalbridge who each had two teams in first place in their divisions.  He thanked John Beckford (Treasurer) and Brenda Harper (Secretary) for their first year’s work on the committee.  He particularly thanked Terry Fellows who processes the results on to the website so promptly, and all the committee for working on behalf of the league.


4 Secretary’s report:  Brenda said no correspondence had been received.  She thanked Colin and the committee for their support in making her first year as secretary run smoothly.


5 Treasurer’s report and accounts for 2017 (attached):  After thanking David for passing on accounts that were “ well-honed and second to none”, John said the finances were in good shape, carrying a small surplus this year.  He recommended maintaining the affiliation fee at the current level, subject to the decision on item 6 on the agenda.  A final decision on the entry fees for the BV Cup next year will be made after the final costs for this year’s competition are in.  He concluded by thanking Terry Leggatt for auditing and signing off the accounts.  Adoption of the accounts was proposed by Chris Jeans, seconded by Joan Collier, and agreed by a show of hands.


6 BV Shield engraving:  Colin explained that one Club had suggested that the League take over the responsibility for arranging the engraving of the 5 shields for each division of the league, instead of the winning Clubs having this done.  If the League took  this on, it would mean increasing the affiliation fees by £1 to cover the costs.  Colin put this to the vote and by a large majority it was decided that the winning Clubs would continue to organise the engraving.  Proposed by John Beckford, seconded by Linda Wilton and agreed.  


7 Election of officers and committee:  There being no nominations,  John Mitchell proposed that the officers and committee be elected en bloc, this was agreed by a show of hands.  Flo Obee was resigning from the committee and had found a replacement in Terry Leggatt.  It was agreed that this would not compromise his auditing of the accounts.  Jim Mannell agreed to take on the role of Competitions Secretary, and thanked Chris Jeans for all his work on this in previous years.  Elected:  Colin MacLeod (Chairman), John Beckford (Treasurer), Brenda Harper (Secretary), Jim Mannell (Competitions Secretary),Terry Fellows (Results Coordinator), Mike Pinkawa, David Bishton, Peter Titheridge, Terry Leggatt.


8 Any other business:  Jim confirmed that the BV Cup plays under the league rules.  Colin asked for more members to help with mats and chairs at the BV Cup, and for raffle prizes, and to please bring a mug for drinks during the day.


9 Date of next meeting:  18 July 2018.  2018/19 League teams to Colin by 30 June, please.


Colin closed the meeting at 7.57 pm.   Jim Mannell organised the Draw for the BV Cup.

BLACKMORE VALE SHORT MAT BOWLS LEAGUE

MINUTES OF THE COMMITTEE MEETING HELD ON THURSDAY 19 APRIL 2018

AT NEW INN HOUSE, GLANVILLES WOOTTON


Present:  Colin MacLeod, Flo Obee, Terry Fellows, David Bishton, Mike Pinkawa, Brenda Harper. (The Treasurer, John Beckford, who had a prior meeting to attend, said he would be arriving late.)


1 Apologies for absence:  Peter Titheridge.


2 The Minutes of the last meeting were agreed as a correct record.


3 Matters arising:  Presidents Cup – Colin said he was hoping the League would be able to appoint a Competitions Secretary so that this could be held this year.


4 Correspondence:   Brenda said she had received a nominations form for Peter Titheridge for the Committee.


5 Treasurer’s report:  (Accounts attached).   The Committee were considering the end of year accounts which had been audited by Terry Leggett – many thanks for this duty – when the Treasurer, John Beckford, made a timely arrival at the meeting.  John reported that financially the League is in a very satisfactory position and suggested that the fees be left the same as last year.  The Committee agreed, and thanks are due to John for his work on the accounts.


6 Items for discussion:  Blackmore Vale Cup – Colin reported that the Sports Centre Manager has taken over running the Sports Hall.  He has agreed that the receptionist will be in charge of the drinks for the day.   The Committee agreed that the receptionist would be given £20 from league funds in recognition of this duty.  At the AGM Colin will ask teams for help with mats, etc, on the day, and for raffle prizes to be donated.


7 Any other business:   Terry asked if a last date for entry to the league season had been set.  It was agreed that Clubs should send their team entries to Colin by Saturday, 30 June this year, to give Colin time to arrange the league divisions before the next Committee meeting, and the General and Fixtures Meeting on Wednesday, 18 July 2018.


Flo said she would be standing down from the Committee at the AGM, and added that Terry Leggett was willing to join the Committee.  A nominations form needs to be completed for this.  After a short discussion, the Committee agreed that if Terry was appointed to the Committee, his auditing of the accounts would not be compromised.


David confirmed that he was willing to continue on the Committee, as did Mike, so all other Committee members were willing to stand again – as reported at the last meeting.  Flo expressed thanks to Brenda for her work as secretary over the last year.


8 Date of next meeting:  Thursday, 12 July 2018.


The meeting closed at 8.45 pm.

 

BLACKMORE VALE SHORT MAT BOWLS LEAGUE

MINUTES OF THE COMMITTEE MEETING HELD ON THURSDAY 18 JANUARY 2018

AT NEW INN HOUSE, GLANVILLES WOOTTON

 

Present:  Colin MacLeod, John Beckford, Terry Fellows, Peter Titheridge, Flo Obee, Brenda Harper.

                                                                                                                                                           

1          Apologies for absence:  None

 

2          The Minutes of the last meeting, after a correction to show the money held in the bank to be £1072,            were approved.

 

3          Matters arising:  Registered Players – Terry said he was still awaiting a list from one Club, and would chase them up again.

 

4          Correspondence:  None.

 

5          Treasurer’s report:  John reported the income to date is £1,070, expenditure £1020.60, surplus for the year to date £49.40, and the money held in the bank account is £990.92.  John said he will prepare the accounts for the year 2017 which Terry Leggatt has agreed to audit.

 

6          Items for discussion:  BV Division Shield engraving - after discussion it was agreed to ask Clubs at the AGM whether they wanted the shields to continue to be engraved by the winning Clubs, or if they would prefer this task to be organised by the League at a cost of £1 per team added to the annual affiliation fees.  In the event that the League undertakes this task, John kindly agreed to organise the engraving of shields.

 

7          Any other business: 

 The Blackmore Vale Cup – will be held on 29 April.

 

The AGM will be held on 25 April at Stalbridge Village Hall.           

 

The General Meeting will be on 18 July at Stalbridge, followed by the Fixtures Meeting for next

season.

 

Presidents Cup - Colin said he will check with Chris Jeans on the date and duties for this.

 

Committee - The committee members present indicated that they were prepared to stand again for the committee.  Clubs will also be asked for nominations for all positions on the Committee.

 

8          Date of next meeting:  Thursday, 19 April 2018 at New Inn House, Glanvilles Wootton.

 

The meeting was closed at 8.40 pm.

 

 

 

Presidents Cup Update:  Usually held during second weekend in July.  Chris will be on holiday at this time.  It will depend on whether our League can form a team to run it.  Volunteers needed.

 

BLACKMORE VALE SHORT MAT BOWLS LEAGUE

MINUTES OF THE COMMITTEE MEETING HELD ON WEDSNESDAY 25 OCTOBER 2017

AT GLANVILLES WOOTTON VILLAGE HALL

 

Present:  Colin MacLeod (Chairman), John Beckford (Treasurer), Terry Fellows (Results Secretary),

Flo Obee, Peter Titheridge, David Bishton, Brenda Harper (Secretary).

 

1          Apologies:  Mike Pinkawa.

 

2          The Minutes of the last meeting were approved.

 

3          Matters arising:  None.

 

4          Correspondence:   Colin had received a letter from Rosemary Piddell of Sherborne Westenders.  Their hall is undergoing major renovations, and until completion during January this involves restrictions to access at mat ends and no access to hot water for hot refreshments. Rosemary was seeking advice on whether they could continue with matches or withdraw from the league this session.  It was agreed that matches could continue to be played under these restrictions, with team members being respectful of the bowlers whilst waiting at the sides of the mats, and noting that only cold drinks can be provided.

 

5          Treasurer’s report:  John said the income to date was £1,070, expenditure £1,010.80, giving a surplus of £59.20.

 

6          Items for discussion:   Jack-off-the-Mat.   As voted for at the last General Meeting, this would be clarified in the Matchplay rules to the effect that this would be allowed, without penalty being incurred, three times only on each of the 2 mats (with those ends being replayed) during the 20 end match.

 

7          Any other business: 

 

Blackmore Vale Cup – this has been arranged for 29 April 2018. 

 

Committee meetings – it was agreed that these would be held on Thursdays in future.

 

Registered players – Terry reported that he had not received all the lists yet and would contact Clubs who had not sent in lists to remind them. 

 

BV Shield engraving – Terry had been contacted by Sixpenny Handley about this.  The current situation is that this is left to the Clubs who win the shields each year, although on one occasion a Club did not have the engraving done.  If this is taken over by the League, it would probably involve an extra £1 being added to annual Team fees.  It was agreed that this would be discussed further at the next Committee meeting.  It was decided that Sixpenny Handley should arrange to have their shield engraved this year. 

 

8          Date of next meeting:  Thursday, 18 January 2018 at New Inn House, Glanvilles Wootton,

DT9 5QJ (instructions on location to be sent out with the Agenda).

 

The Chairman closed the meeting at 8.00 pm.


BVL General Meeting - 26th July 2017

Chairman's Address

Welcome to what I hope will be another successful year.

We have lost two teams - Winterborrne Whitechurch and Sturnewts.  The first because older members are unable to drive at night; the second because of loss of players.  The good news is that Sherborne Westend have entered their Westonians team again.  Your committee recommends all clubs seek new members otherwise the trend could be to lose further teams.  Other possibilities that might help is an Afternoon League or a Summer League.  Something to think about.

You will probably have realised by now that there will be 5 divisions of 7 teams for 2017-2018.  Only the top team in Divisions 1 to 4 have been promoted and 3 teams relegated in Division 2.  Otherwise 2 up and 2 down as normal.

At the A.G.M. the question of Jack-off-the-Mat was raised.  Your committee has clarified the rule in that our league games consist of four games of ten ends on two mats with the home team changing mats halfway.  Therefore the jack can be off the mat 3 times without penalty in each of the 4 games as per E.S.M.B.A. rule C7.  [After note:  This ruling was contested from the floor and by majority of those present it was decided that games consist of 2 games of 20 ends.  Therefore each jack off the mat must be recorded on the score card so that the team changing mats will inherit any jack off the mats caused by their other half.]

Also after the A.G.M., two papers were handed to me.  One asking that there be no visiting the head in the Blackmore Vale Cup.  The committee thought this was already the rule.  Secondly, it was asked that in the final end, after no more jacks called, if the jack is knocked off the mat then that end will be replayed.  The committee disagreed as it will slow down the Blackmore Vale Cup.  Both these items will be passed to Jim Mannell for his consideration as I hope he will be willing to run that competition.

The Gryphon Centre has been provisionally booked for the last Sunday in April 2018.  This is after National and County matches have been played and will allow more time for our league games to be finished.  The 2018 A.G.M. will I suspect be on the Wednesday prior.

You will be pleased to note our new Treasurer, John, and Secretary, Brenda, both of whom have taken to their tasks with relish.  I would also like to thank Chris in his past role as secretary for all the many years he served you and to David for his 5 years as treasurer.  And lastly, after one committee meeting, I am pleased to say that you have very good committee members -- whether old or new in that role.

BLACKMORE VALE SHORT MAT BOWLS LEAGUE

MINUTES OF THE COMMITTEE HELD ON 12 JULY 2017 AT GLANVILLES WOOTTON VILLAGE HALL

Present:  Colin MacLeod (Chairman), John Beckford (Treasurer), Terry Fellows (Results Secretary), Flo Obee, David Bishton, Mike Pinkawa, Brenda Harper (Secretary).

1          Apologies:  None.

2          The Minutes of the last meeting held on 15 February 2017 were approved.

3          Matters arising:  None.

4          Correspondence:  None.

5          Treasurer’s report:  John said that at present income was £720, with expenditure to date £973.12, a deficit of £253.12.  This situation would be resolved when the league clubs paid their £10 per team fees due on 26 July.  Funds in the bank account stood at £688.40.

6          Items for discussion                                                                                                                    

(a)  Formation of league divisions – Colin explained that Whitechurch Wardens and Sturnewts had withdrawn from the league, and a new team Sherborne Westonians had joined.  This  left 35 teams in the league.  He tabled his suggestion and plan for the league of 5 divisions of 7 teams in each.  One winner of each division from last season would be promoted (2 from div 5).  Teams would then be evened out down the divisions.  This solution was agreed by the committee.                                                      

(b)  Jack off the mat rule – It was agreed that this rule applies to each of the 2 games of 10 ends on each mat, as explained on page 15 of the ESMBA Laws of the Game book.                                            

(c)  Afternoon games or Afternoon League – Colin said there was insufficient interest from Clubs for either of these options, and he had therefore reluctantly accepted the resignation of Winterbourne Whitechurch from the League.                                                                                                                          

(d)  BV Cup, suggested changes – No visiting of the head.  The committee thought this was the rule in the Cup and if so, should be made clear on the day.  Jack off the mat, end to be replayed.  The committee disagreed with this suggestion as it would lead to matches over-running their time slots.  These opinions would be forwarded to Jim Mannell for his consideration at future Blackmore Vale Cup competitions.

7          Any other business:  Colin thanked the new treasurer and secretary for joining the committee.  John asked about collecting the £10 team fees from clubs.  Colin said this was best done as members arrived for the General Meeting – Brenda to email Clubs to remind them.  David was concerned that Short Mat membership was dwindling.  After discussion of various ideas it was decided that this was best left to individual clubs to attract new members.

8          Date of next meeting:  Wednesday, 25 October 2017 at 7.30 pm.

Colin closed the meeting at 8.30 pm.

Blackmore Vale Short Mat Bowls League

 

Minutes of  2017 AGM  held at Stalbridge Hall on the 15th-March-2017

 

Clubs represented - Buckhorn Weston, Cerne Abbas, Gillingham, Hazelbury Bryan, Milborne Port, Okeford Fitzpaine, Sherborne, Shroton, Sixpenny Handley, Stalbridge, Sturminster Newton, Tarrent Keyneston, Templecombe, Thornford, Winterbome Whitechurch, Yetminster.

Apologies- Camelot and Mr T Fellows.

Minutes of last meeting of the General Meeting - were accepted

Chairman’s Address – Welcome to everyone present.  Congratulations to Hazelberries and Camelot.He said the season has run smoothly again creating nothing your Committee could not handle Thanking to our Treasurer., David who has served for the last 5/6 years, and Chris our Secretary, who has been me since the League had a proper Committee many years ago, 17 years I believe. He has now decided to hand over to someone else, we thank both for all they have done.

Going on to say that Terry Fellows could not be here, but I can safely say he makes the BMVSMB League work. We are extremely fortunate in having Terry sorting out your fixture results and updating the website almost daily. Thank you Terry.

All our Committee members play their part and my thanks to them on your behalf . The league runs extremely smoothly but without a Committee to steer it and a Treasurer to handle the money and most of all a Secretary to keep records and inform Clubs it would collapse.

The Chairman recalled that when the League was formed he foolishly thought that every Club would put forward members for election and thus everyone would be represented. So if your Club hasn't yet had its say in Committee now is the time to come forward.

Last year the Chairman said he asked that all Clubs need to send in their player registration numbers to Terry, so please when you get your numbers this year make sure this happens.

The BMV Cup has been brought further and further forward so as not to clash with other bowls events, but this has been detrimental to the League season and he present Committee agree that it should be put back in the calendar to allow more time for League fixtures.

The Chairman finally asked all Clubs to ensure they had enough players to complete a full seasons fixtures. Unfortunately Shroton second team could not complete this years fixtures, but please remember we will always welcome any more new teams that meet our rules.

Treasurer’s Report & Accounts for 2016/17 – the Treasurer gave a very comprehensive report the main points being (1) 2016 BMV Cup made a profit of £91.14p even after a higher than expected hall hire charge.  (2) last years total Income £1032, Expenses of £1102.92, end of year balance of £941.52p which the Committee believe to be a satisfactory working balance.  (3) The Charity Competitions yielded £480 for the Macmillan Cancer Support and £120 for the S & D Air Ambulance.  The Treasurer confirmed the accounts had been examined and signed off as satisfactory by our accounts examiner Mr T Leggett.  He went on to say that he was not seeking re-election and wished his successor well.

Finally he asked for the Accounts to be adopted, this was proposed by Mr CR Jeans and seconded by Mr T Leggett.  All agreed.

Secretary’s Report – My thanks again to all Club Secretary’s and representatives over this last year and to everyone here.

The Presidents Cup Charity Competition, we raised £480 last year for the Macmillan Nurses Cancer Charity my thanks to everyone involved.

This years Competition will be played on the 08th-July at King Arthurs Community School, Wincanton.  Please come and play or support your Leagues Team.

Invitations for players have been sent out to all LeagueClubs and we want to win our trophy  back from East Devon, last years Winners.

I have not organized a match against Yeovil League this year but we raised £120 last year for the S & D Air Ambulance, my thanks to Stalbridge SMBC for hosting it.

We have been asked to put a team into a new Competition run by East Devon on the 21" May, I have sent out invitations for players to all Clubs. If we can get enough players the BMV League will put in a Tea, we will need someone to organise our team.

The BMV Cup – Please remember we are starting at 9.00am as last year I would like to remind players that they need to bring their own cup/mug for drinks.  We also need to look after the drinks area.  I will get the ingredients but other people need to help to get water to top up the boiler etc, otherwise you will lose this facility.

Would last years trophy winner please bring them to Sundays competition if you have not brought them here tonight.

Hazelberries, Gnats, Shroton, Sturfries, Sturnewts. (Plate) Cerne Giants

Finally as I stated last year I will not be sitting in the Secretary’s Chair anymore.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank my fellow Committee Members over the years for all their help and commitment to the BMV League.

I have said to our Chairman that I would handle tonight’s minutes and this years Presidents Cup and the East Devon tournament BMV teams.

Mrs F Obee proposed a vote of thanks for the Secretary.

Election of Officer’s –

 

Nomination

Proposed

Seconded

Vote

Chairman

Mr C MacLeod

Mrs F Obee

Mr B Fry

All agreed

Secretary

No Nomination

 

 

 

Treasurer

Mr J Beckford

Mr CR Jeans

Mr T Leggett

All agreed

A volunteer for the position of Secretary must be found from a League Club before the end of the General meeting in July.

Election of Committee Members (six)

Nominations                           Proposed                                Vote

Mr T Fellows                          Result coordinator                  agreed

Mrs F Obee                            existing Member                     agreed

Mr M Pinkawa                       existing Member                     agreed

Mr S Clayton                          existing Member                     agreed

Mr P Titheridge                      new Member                          agreed

Mr D Bishton                         new Member                          agreed

 

                                                                  Nomination          Proposed                   Vote

Appointment of Accounts Examiner-       Mr T Leggett        Mr D Birt                  agreed

Proposed Annual League Membership fee for next season.

The Treasurer recommends keeping the League fee at £10 per Team.                    Agreed

AOB – a range of questions and query’s were discussed.

(1) Jack off the mat –there is no BMV rule in place but the Chairman said the matter had been discussed some years ago and his recollection was that it was a game of 10 ends and the jack could be removed 3 times in each.  He determined that it would be looked into at the next Committee meeting and our rules amended.

(2) Another member asked if it was possible to play League games on weekday afternoon as many elderly players did not like going out on a winter evening.  The Chairman said that if an agreement was reached between two teams he had no objection but we may have to amend playing rules.  The Dorset County Captain Mr Brian Baker said he had reservation about weekend games as they might conflict with County Competitions, it was generally thought common sense would prevail.

(3) Clearing woods to the end of the mat after the end was completed.  It was stated that some players do not carry out this task as effectively as they should.  It is the duty of all players involved in the game to keep it running as smoothly as possible, that means helping out when they can.

(4) Mr P Titheridge he had difficulty trying to get a reply from ESMBA web site. He was advised to contact Barry Headges ESMBA web site.

 

The Chairman closed the meeting at 8.15pm

Draw for BMV Cup

Please Note

Jurassic 2017 Inter Area Tournament 21st May – Players required for BMV team

BMV Presidents Cup (King Arthurs Wincanton) 08th-July- Players required for BMV team.   Please contact me if you wish to play in either of these matches

Date for the General Meeting is the 26th-July-2017 at Stalbridge Hall 7.30pm.

Date for the next Committee Meeting is the 12th-JuIy-2017 venue to be confirmed

Chris Jeans

Tel 01963 364287

e-mail chrisjeans@tiscali.co-uk

Make a free website with Yola